RE: 164 Exhaust Sounds

Subject: 164 Exhaust Sounds - Please Help

I need some Alfisti advice re: my 91 164S. After 2 years with a nice Stebro
exhaust (center and rear) I have decided I want to change the sound of my
exhaust. I am bored with the Stebro!  It is so polite.

Who's done something interesting here on this issue?  Any good or bad
experiences?  Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!  Clearly a second childhood issue...

Hi Taylor

I can't tell you what to do to get all you are looking for, but I have an
experience that may help you in your quest.  I also think the properly
muffled 164 is too quiet.  Recently, the pipe going from a newish center
section back to the rear muffler on my 91 S rusted completely away.  With no
rear muffler at all, the car had a really nice aggressive sound, but it
wasn't too loud in my opinion.  As a bonus, there wasn't any nasty drone.
But the sound wasn't what I would have expected.  It was more of a baritone.
Sounded very much like a quieter version of a racing 911.  Very interesting
(to me).  And driving under overpasses at full throttle approaching redline
(e.g. coming out of a cloverleaf that curls under a freeway) was
spine-tingling!  Anyway, you might want to try taking the rear section off
and running something straight out.  You could try a piece of crappy
flexpipe just to see how it would sound.

HTH

Let us know what you end up doing!