Warming-up

Opinions obviously differ on warm-up procedure, but that of Alfa Romeo Auto
S.p.A., which built my Milano, is identical to that of Alfa Lancia
Industriale, which built my 164. It is on p.59 in the Milano Owner's Manual,
p.85 in the 164 Owner's Manual:

"Warm up idling wastes gas. Start the car just before you are ready to drive.
Accelerate slowly and smoothly."

A corollary concept which I learned long ago is further stated on p.60 for the
Milano, p.86 for the 164:

"Do not drive at high speed until the oil in the engine, transmission and
differential has warmed up properly." (My mentors had added wheel bearings,
tires, steering gear, even speedometer and tachometer cables.)

Elsewhere, they say "Unnecessary idling should be minimized. Turn the engine
off when convenient." and "Do not leave the engine unattended after starting."

To be fair, company recommendations have varied over the years. The 1750
(which Carson Damm has) says "After a cold start and particularly when the
room temperature is below freezing point, wait a fairly long time before
getting away so as to warm up properly all engine parts and allow the oil to
reach all points requiring lubrication", and "Top performance must never be
demanded of the car until coolant temperature is about 158 F". The 1600 says
"Do not drive at high speeds until the oil in the engine, in the gearbox, and
in the differential has warmed up properly." And the in 1950 the 1900
"Operation and Maintenance " book said "to let the engine run at 1500 rpm
unloaded for three minutes in the summer and five in the winter."

Some of the variations may be attributable to improved materials in bearings,
rings, and gaskets as well as to seriously improved lubricants, but the
concern for all lubricated parts, not just the engine, seems legitimate. If
driving conditions permit a lightly-loaded moving warmup that seems ideal to
me.

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.