SPICA problems

Okay, as my Milano is down awaiting a new radiator, my GTV6 is down awaiting
a rebuilt rear brake caliper, I decided to be masochistic and start
tinkering with the 74 Spider today.  With some difficulty I can get the car
to start, but she runs rough, missing and sputtering.  Applying sudden
pressure on the accelerator causes the engine to die until the engine is
fully warmed up.  And even when running warm, it is very touchy.

DPO put a Shankle Sure Start on the SPICA pump, and didn't maintain the
engine very well.  There is a thick coating of dried oil sludge all over the
SPICA pump.  God only knows where the spark plug wires came from, but they
seem to work.

I put in a new set of Champion RN9YC plugs to check for fouling, and they
don't seem to be fouling, so I don't suspect an overly rich mixture (yet.)
However, I haven't excavated through the oil sludge yet to play with the
mixture.  The missing is erratic, so I don't suspect the injectors
themselves (yet.)

Could this be as simple as a clogged up fuel filter set?  Or a bad fuel
pump?

Thanks!

Howard K. Warren
1991 164L (on loan from my Alfa mechanic... wish my wife would buy it)
1988 Milano Platinum, "SnowHawk" (grounded until new radiator arrives)
1984 GTV6, "Falconi" (grounded until rebuilt brake caliper arrives)
1974 Spider (nothing better to do whilst waiting...)