Re: warming

In a message dated 2/23/99 4:17:13 PM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

> . From what I know of cats is to remove HCs from the exhaust. I
>  believe that you would produce fewer at idle than at 3000 rpm even driving
>  gently so the cat would get more abus

The cat will not do anything until it gets up to temp...period.  Just Idling
will not do it.  The newer cats have as many as 4 catalysts and are good for
much more than just HC, also CO, NoX, and a few others.  I'm not sure I agree
that it takes a full minute to lube the engine, but I might go 20 or 30
seconds.

Jerry in Houston