water pump

Hello,
Another question about the water pump: I'm trying to remove the tachometer
drive cable, and it unscrewed fine, but actually pulling the cable out of
the pump is another story. Despite wiggling it around a lot and getting
myself really greasy, I can't get it to come loose. Of course, I haven't
hurt myself yet on the car, so maybe that's the problem.......
But seriously, might rocking the car back and forth in 5th gear help loosen
this thing up?
Thanks
Chris Keen
'77 spider