RE: low compression 2 litre

Lawrence,

Did your also replace the liners when rebuilding your engine?
If not, the rings may have to much play in the liner, you can check this

buy removing the rings from the piston and pushing them (on at a time)
about 1" in the liner (use the piston upside-down as pushing tool). Now,
check the
rings slot play it should be around... (check a W/S manual for the
maximum
play, I don't know it from head). If it's to much, either replace the
liner or get
oversize pistons (with rings of course) btw complete liner/piston kits
are not
_that_ expensive, I paid about $60 (=Guilders 120,-) per set.
Also check the valve clearance, if it's to little the valves open to
soon.

A better way to check rings, valves etc. is to make a tool from an old
spark plug,
which has an air nozzle and a gauge on it (be inventive :))
Now putting the respective cylinder in TDC pressurize up to 10 bar and
measure the
time it takes the cylinder to decompress... quick decompression
indicates valves,
medium decompression, worn pistons/liners/rings. slow decompression,
about the
same on all cylinders . . .you have an OK engine :)

And yes, always assemble the rings 120 degrees turned from each other,
to minimize gas leakage.

Good Luck!

Chris Piepers
The Netherlands

'81 Alfasud Sprint Veloce (for nostalgic reasons)
'83 Alfetta Q'Oro (daily driver, since the Milano is waiting for it's
new heart)
'86 75 2.5V6 (Milano)
(I just LOVE those transaxles)