low compression 2 litre

I have a 2 litre engine with low compression (120 - 130psi) in cylinder #1.  I
poured oil in the cylinder and the compression jumped up to the 180s and
dropped as the oil was blown out the valves.  Simple, its the rings.  I pulled
the head, dropped the sump, and pulled the #1 piston.  The rings looked like
they were spaced correctly.  There were no obvious marks or anything else that
would point me elsewhere.  I've had this problem since I built the engine last
summer.  I haven't put that many miles on it, probably less than 5000.  Should
I align the rings at 10, 2, and 6 and put it back together or is there
something else I'm missing?  Thanks in advance.

Lawrence Gowin
71 GTV
87 Milano