Todd and his $95 tank rage

> From: "Todd A. Hoppens"
> Subject: GTV6 Coolant tank
>
> Dave,
>
> I cant believe that dealers are charging $95 for the original GTV6
> coolant tanks!  This is such a scam on the dealers part.  The original
> price of the coolant tanks was $16.00 and I just bought the last one my
> dealer had 2 months ago for that price.  I cant understand how some
> dealers are trying to take advantage of us loyal Alfa owners.  I would
> suggest that you try calling different dealers in the U.S. and seeing if
> they have any GTV6 tanks in stock for the original price of $16.00.  What
> dealer is trying to sell you a GTV6 tank for $95??  Is it an authorized
> Alfa Romeo dealer??  That is just too much money for that plastic tank!
> For that kind of money, you could get a custom tank made out of stainless
> steel or aluminum that race cars use.  I think in the near future, I may
> get a custom stainless steel coolant tank and...{snip}

Just a question... What is an obsolete, no longer produced part worth?
Especially if the dealer, (who I know of and have been there-very
ethical...}had to buy it in Europe, pay near retail and then pay to have
it shipped 7000 miles?

So many people complain about price and availability...Is Matt Jones a
crook for charging $900 for
Duetto rubber mats? No, because it costs a fortune to get it made in low
quanities. And the quality is top notch.

I addressed this issue with Alfa USA last week and there is not enough
demand worldwide to re-order GTV6 tanks. They would need to order 1000+
to get the cost down to where you consider it reasonable. Perhaps you
could have them made and sell them to Alfa for $8 so they can mark it up
to $12 to sell it to me and then I can sell it to you for $16.

Before cutting down dealers, and accusing them of unethical practices,
you might walk in their shoes.
I may be alone on this one, but I take it personally now that I am in
the business. No Alfa dealer is getting rich selling parts to a
shrinking market. That's why there are less of them this year than last.
Take care of the one in your area and be happy they are still there.

Rant over, Geez, I started to sound like Fred....
AlfaBill
- --
M a s t r o  M o t o r s -
Wholesale Internet Parts for Alfa Romeo & Subaru
http://mastrosubaru.com/parts.htm

End of alfa-digest V7 #494