seatbelts

     Norm Sippel was commenting about field testing of his seatbelts, but
     had not had the opportunity, thankfully.
     I tested mine once, it was in my Mk I MG Midget. I had a head-on with
     a 63 Buick on a 2 way hiway. I was in the wrong lane. My seatbelt was
     a lap type, similar to the then current racing belts, which came out
     of military aircraft. It was mounted using the fatory installed
     threaded fasteners.
     Since it was a head on at moderate speed, I luckily suffered only
     minor damage to my body, but major to the car.
     The left front fender was mangled, the REAR fender, while not hit, got
     crinkled from the forces of the accident. The top was up, and pulled
     up on the rear mounting, while the collapsing front fender was trying
     to push it away. The steering wheel looked like a pretzel. My right
     foot was hard on the brake, and that probably helped keep me in the
     seat, since my right hip pulled the seatbelt out of its anchor, and
     left a bruise there. My upper lip probably hit the steering wheel, and
     maybe helped mangle it. My thumb, while hooked aound the steering
     wheel, was bruised. No broken bones, thankfully.
     I credit the seatbelt with helping prevent more serious injury. Even
     tho the mounting failed, it kept me in place for a finite period of
     time; enough to keep me from going into the windshield, and taking the
     steering wheel out with my chest.
     I highly recommend driving in your own lane! My friend, travelling
     behind me, managed to stop just short of my rear bumper!
     Len