ABS problems on 155

When the snow falls I seem to have problems stopping my 155. The car does
not want to stop on snowy ground at speeds below 5mph. Consequently I end
up drifting out at junctions which as you can imagine could lead to a
serious accident. Has anyone had similar problems at very low speeds. I'm
assuming that the ABS sensor is operating when it detects a locked wheel?
But if it is it's serious over compensation. (I have only ever had one
other car with ABS and can't remember suffering with problems like
this.) The braking is normally tremendous especially when compared with my
1990 164.

thanks

Mark..
'95 155 (Face lift model)