Re: OBDII

Eric Storhok writes:
************************
Anyway, Dave J. is annoyed by the fact that OBDII prevents any
modifications
to work.  Well, unfortunately, that is one of the primary points of
OBDII.
Many of the aftermarket modifications are not noticeable under
inspection, nor
from a simple idle/2500 rpm emissions check, but they do degrade
emissions
a measurable amount...
************************

I'm probably the last one to be commenting on this subject - however,
that's never stopped me before.

Those of us old enough to remember bell bottoms (the first time around),
i.e., the 70's should have seen the handwriting on the wall. 5 mph
bumpers were mandated; more stringent smog control was mandated -
especially on cars; better gas mileage was mandated; and if air-bags
weren't yet, they certainly were in the mandated pipeline.

It hardly took a great mind (even I saw the old proverbial handwriting
on the side of the car) and told anyone who would listen where things
were headed, "Cars are going to get very, very expensive, very heavy,
will be virtually undriveable until technology catches up with
Washington's demands, and you'll need a degree from either Cal Tech or
MIT to work on them."

Unfortunately I was right on all counts. As to the latter comment I
made, OBDII is apparently "The Answer". Has anyone mentioned Dennis
Simanaitis' article in the 1/99 issue of R & T (P. 132)? He points out
what a mechanical/electronic/political nightmare it is.

So again, where were you during the Car Wars of the 70's? Up to a point
I just opted out (thank you for asking). I drive and restore older cars
(no MIT degree). I'm afraid those of you who want a "modern" car are
kinda stuck with OBDII (& III & IV &...). Just like the weather, you
certainly can talk about it, but...

I know I'm about to touch on a very sensitive issue, but again, those of
you who wore bell-bottoms the first time around - remember Zero
Population (a non-government group)?

Biba
Irwindale CA
AlfaCyberSite - http://home.earthlink.net/~biba/