7 years... not so!

Brian Shorey had written...

 "If they wait their seven years from 1995 then they can start with a clean
 slate, and are no longer legally obligated to service or sell parts for
 anything they may have sold here in the past."

Brian, it is a common misconception, but there is no such thing as the "7 year
law". There is NOTHING legally preventing a car manufacturer from folding and
leaving behind it a great big void. The only details that need be worked out
are for the federally required emission warrantees and the obligation of the
new vehicle warranty and both of these can be arranged to be handled by an
"outside" source. There is NO SUCH THING as a law that sez parts need be made
available for 7 years. It just ain't so.

If you wanted to make the "Brian-mobile" sell a couple thousand and then
decide you really don't like the car business and retire; nothing prevents you
from doing so. Nothing sez you need make fenders or glass or clutches or
filters or anything else available after you decide to shut the door. If you
offered a warranty, you could contract (for a price) with another company to
fulfill your warranty requirements. And you're outta here!

The concept of how this works may be a bit difficult to put into words here on
the digest, so if you'd like to call me at Caribou during business hours (949)
770-3136 I can verbally explain in much better detail about this subject.

Best Wishes,

Ed at Caribou Imports, Inc.
NOW... the largest Fiat parts supplier in the Western U.S.
visit us on the Web at:
www.caribou.cc
NEW ADDITION to our Web site: check the Autotraders nationwide database of
Alfas or other vehicles for sale OR list your own car for sale FREE. Courtesy
of Caribou Imports!