RE: Alfa Romeo's Tops

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999, Gordon C Hyde <gohyde@domain.elided> wrote:

> I mentioned this to Wayn off digest, but now I am puzzled.  My Spider
has
> rubber bungee straps on each side of the luggage well.  They are
> connected by means of a chrome plated fitting with two screws into the
> carpeting.  Exposed is a swivel fitting that looks like it should be
used
> to hold down a tonneau cover or something.  What are these fittings
for?

Actually, the swivel fittings are to hold down the front of the
convertible top
"boot" cover.  As you probably guessed, the free ends of the bungees are
designed to hook to the folded top frame to secure it down and prevent
undesired bounce-induced wear.  The boot cover clips or hooks
(depending on your model year) to the trim on the trunk just behind the
folded top, and the leading edge/straps at the front of the boot drape
down into the luggage well where the grommets are secured to the swivels.

End of alfa-digest V7 #484