Alfa factory parts issue-longish

Glenn wrote;

> In my opinion, for what it's worth, we should all be supporting the few
> remaing Alfa part sources.  I can understand buying aftermarket parts in a
> pinch or if the cost of the Alfa part is much higher than a quality
> aftermarket part but we all know, or should know, when we need to change
> the
> oil (I have an Alfa filter and a quart 15/50 Mobil 1 in the trunk).  Pep
> Boys may sell an oil filter for your Alfa but they will never replace your
> Alfa parts seller.  For a few more $$$ you should buy Alfa parts from an
> Alfa parts seller.
>
> This is not intended as a shot at those who are unable to get OEM Alfa
> parts.  The postings I have read make no mention of availability being a
> problem.

    Hopefully this won't be perceived as SPAM but in my recent direct
talks with Alfa Romeo (CEO and Parts Director, -I met with them
Wednesday) the whole concept is simple, Supply parts and service support
as long as it is practical and profitable. There is no obligation for
them to stay here after the warranties are finished, and they are. These
folks have to show Fiat a profit to justify the expense of 4 salaries,
the 1000 sq feet of office they keep, overhead, etc. They have a
positive attitude about staying and have encouaraged me to try to expand
what we do here. Basically, they operate as a seperate unit of Fiat and
if they start to cost money, the ax drops. For the most part, I have had
no problem getting parts from ARI.

    I don't know what others are doing with prices, ( I hear some funny
stuff, like the $12 oil filter,)
but I am trying to make the stuff competitive and discount as much as I
can to be attractive. If it's really high, for whatever reason, ie: $160
plug wires for a Spider, I go to premium aftermarket like Magnecor. Not
for Pep Boys pricing, but to make it competitive. Caribou does the same,
good stuff that is priced well. International and Centerline, AR Ricambi
etc. also fill a place in the market to supply parts. It's also a matter
of understanding that the parts for Alfa are NOT high priced. (We sell
Subaru...ask me how I know...Alfa parts are cheaper! )

    I think it's sometimes an issue of people not believing that ARI
will ever leave. These aren't Chevys. You now own an orphan marque, and
must adjust your habits to that. Some stuff, like GTV-6 coolant bottles,
don't have a big enough market to remake on a low cost small scale. Matt
Jones told me that he has all sorts of rubber and such in the pipeline
for GTV-6. But on small scales and high quality, a coolant bottle won't
be $20.

    No one is without an Alfa dealer (grat. plug) due to mail
order.With  catalogs( Int'l, Ricambi, Centerline etc...,and guys like me
(Parts and Service Point) and UPS, anything is possible. ARI will drop
ship big stuff like body parts. (They charge vendors extra for the drop,
so discounts may be less)

    Anyway, just my view from the other side of the parts counter....

- --
M a s t r o  M o t o r s -
Wholesale Internet Parts for Alfa Romeo & Subaru
http://mastrosubaru.com/parts.htm