VW or Alfa?

Hi,

Once again, I call on the collective wisdom of my elders and peers.  In
the next few months, my fiance and I are going to start looking for a
new car for her.  We were forced to buy a Ford Esquirt when we moved out
here due to an accident she had driving out.  Not surprisingly, she
hates the car.  She came home the other nite and said, "Man! That car
sucks!  It doesn't corner well at all!"  This is also the same woman who
told me that it didn't matter what she drove, that a car was a car to
her.  I think she just needs to get behind the wheel of a "real" car to
enjoy driving.  My problem is what do we get?  She likes the look of the
164 (as do I, naturally) and like many of you, it would be nice to be a
two Alfa family.  On the other hand, we might look at early Passat
wagons for ski, bike, and doggy hauling ability.  Any body have any
suggestions or experience comparing the two?  I was actually leaning
toward the Passat until I saw a hot-looking 164S on my commute this
morning.  Che bella!  Please respond off-digest if that would be
appropriate.

Thanks!

Kit Redwine
88 Verde