Re: mysterious filter in '76 spider

In a message dated 2/17/99 8:28:44 AM Central Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
  I am hoping that someone on the digest can tell me the purpose of a
 paper element filter (about 4in in diameter and about 4in tall) that is
 mounted to the inner drivers side fender (inside the engine compartment)
 near the front. This filter sets in a housing that is welded to the
 fender (so I can't simply remove it) and is connected to nothing. I have
 seen the filter in a couple of pictures of other alfa's but the
 connection is not shown. The housing that contains the filter has an
 outlet that is about an inch in diameter coming from the bottom.

In the mid to late 70's the cars had an air pump for emissions attached next
to the SPICA pump.  The filter you see was attached to the air pump via a hose
and was to filter the air going into the air pump.

Jerry in Houston