mysterious filter in '76 spider

Greetings,

 I am hoping that someone on the digest can tell me the purpose of a
paper element filter (about 4in in diameter and about 4in tall) that is
mounted to the inner drivers side fender (inside the engine compartment)
near the front. This filter sets in a housing that is welded to the
fender (so I can't simply remove it) and is connected to nothing. I have
seen the filter in a couple of pictures of other alfa's but the
connection is not shown. The housing that contains the filter has an
outlet that is about an inch in diameter coming from the bottom.

 Has anyone seen one of these things connected before? If so, what was
it connected to?

Thanks in Advance

Phil Williams
3 spiders and a platinum