Visit to Ed Mackey

     I would like to belatedly thank Ed Mackey for his hospitality last
     December.  I was going to be in Los Cruces, New Mexico for a couple of
     weeks so, after reading Bill Harkell's account of his trip across the
     country, including a stop at Ed and Nancy's place in Los Cruces, I
     looked up in the Alfa Owner to find their email address.  Ed and Nancy
     are both on the AROC National Board.  I emailed them and Ed said sure,
     come on by.  On my day off, I called and Ed gave me detailed
     directions (Nancy was gone for the day).  Ed showed me his collection
     and we had a good talk.  He has something like 20 cars, all but 2
     Italian, and about half Alfas.  Also about half are running.
     Everything from a fairly ratty, non-running Spider and Alfetta to a
     Concours-condition Giulietta Spider.  Almost all of them bought cheap,
     including a second-series Maserati Quattroporte bought for $800 which
     just needed oil in the cylinders to make it able to start up.  A
     fascinating tour and a well-spent day.  My work colleagues thought I
     was crazy when I told them I was going to look at a bunch of old
     cars...they just don't understand.

     (Ed, I am sending this to you as well in case you don't see it on the
     Digest.  Thanks for the hospitality.)