Idler arm box rebuilding?

> Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:58:30 PST
> From: "James Coulombe" <jncoulombe@domain.elided>
> Subject: Idler arm box rebuilding?
>
> Could someone please suggest how to go about rebuilding the idler arm
> box for 105 series Alfas?  I have a far too brief description in an
> Autobook Manual and have purchased new bushings and pivot bolt.  After
> reaming the bushings is the pivot bolt simply press fitted into the
> idler arm or does it also have to be welded?  Has anyone done this
> rebuild before?  I have never seen any discussion of this proceedure
> which I suspect could probably help alot of older alfas.  Any
> James Coulombe
> 69 1750 Spider

I rebuild one about a year ago. I chiseled the old bushings out. If you look at the
new ones they are split, use a small chisel to curl this edge over and then take a
long neddle nose pliers and twist it as you pull and they come right out. I then
pressed the new bushings into the box and took it and a new idler arm to a machine
shop had had them reamed to fit. If I remember right it cost about $15.00 to have
them reamed out. This was a fairly easy job.

Ralph Fetsch
Houston, Texas
91 Spider Veloce w/auto 147,000+ miles
64 Giulia 1600 Spider