Dual points distributor vs single

May I give you my feelings about the question of better performance with
single point distributors over dual?  Once again, let's not try to
outperform the Alfa engineers.   The idea of dual points is to allow better
performance without detonation under load.  The system's vacuum switch is
there to retard the spark advanvce by diconnecting the secondary points
under heavy load like during  acceleration or loss of vacuum in the intake
manifold.  At light loads and above certain rpms, you get more spark advance
and therefore better performance.   Adjusting the points is no big deal once
you've learned how.  That's my simplistic explaination.  Fred Di Matteo
Fort Myers, Florida