Fast 164L (and then some)

Will,

That was my 164L at the Walter Mitty.  HyperTech had a dyno there and
all the muscle cars were getting their hp and speed numbers.  Let me
place you in the setting.  Z28s, Trans Ams, Impala SS, Mustang GTs &
Cobra, ect.  My buddy had a 1997 Lotus V8 and the Hypertech guys wanted
to run it.  He told them that if they ran my Alfa too then he would let
them run the Lotus.  They agreed.  Off we went.  The computer can read
the dyno wheel drums up to 160 mph.  After 160 the computer piddles out
and flashes "Unable to read data."  Well none of the muscle heads could
trip the computer off.  Some guys got close with numbers around
145-152mph.  Then we ran the red Lotus.  This baby clicked off the
computer and reached 180 mph bouncing off the rev limiter in 5th gear.
Now it was my turn.  The muscle heads were quickly confused because they
pulled this white 4 door "I-talian" car up on the dyno the wrong
direction!!!  They started recording data (with the front wheels?).  Now
my 164L has a very throaty exhaust on it (Stebro with no cat) and that
sound attracted the attention of the muscle heads.  They watched in
amazement as this little white 4 door screamed past 120, ...130, ...140,
...150,...160 (computer K.O.) to 165 mph at 6800 rpms (Tom Zat chip).
Lets recap.  The only two cars all day to knock out the dyno computer
were the Lotus V8 twin turbo and my 1991 164L (not so stock) with 97,000
miles on it.  Needless to say, the muscle heads were stumped.  I have
this all on video and we have pictures of the speedo at 165 mph.  Now I
know this doesn't take wind drag into effect.  The dyno that Hypertech
uses has two 5000 lb wheel drums to add to the drag resistance which I
imagine makes up for a little drag.

Dave
Atlanta AROC

End of alfa-digest V7 #471