Alfa 33 in Australia

Just read Eric H.'s "money pit" piece and have to say I'm (only) a
little heartened. I too am now a "cheque book" mechanic, particularly
now I own a 164. I knew every nut and bolt on Dr Porsche's legacy but
was clueless come my first Alfa in the guise of an '85 33. Heard all
about their bad reputation for rust and unreliability but found one that
was nearly pristine about four years ago - $AUD6,500 - that went like
crazy. After looking at Saab's I was amazed. (Was also amazed I couldn't
slide under the thing without a jack and even then it was squeezy;
squeezy under the bonnet, under the dash, between pedals. While
reasonably broad of shoulder, hand and foot, I thought I'd at least be
able to get a finger in somewhere without putting it on a hoist or
dropping the engine .. anyway, that's how I became a cheque book
mechanic, mostly ...)

Within a month I had about every major mechanical go wrong, one way or
another. The twin Webers were out of tune every second week and cost
about $150 every time I had them "balanced" - eventually o/hauled them
myself and found more joy with my own screwdrivers than a Toni's or a
Renato's. Electrics: power drain, trip computer, air-con ... you name
it. Then the rust crept in - usual places, rear boot sill and wheel
arches - just in time for my girlfriend to be upgraded to a company car
(since I'd graduated to the 164, she got the 33) and it came time to
find it a new home. There seemed half dozen or so advertised every w/end
in The Sydney Morning Herald (a big motoring section) and not usually
readvertised so I assumed they were still being bought and sold. Also,
still insured for a goodly sum.

Here's my (belaboured) point: the 33 looks great, is mechanically near
to perfect, inside and out, seems turbo-charged compared to the 164 when
those Webers open throttle and handles faultlessly with near to new
Michelins in perfect alignment ... I won't be able to re-register it
w/out spending big on the body. Had people came to see it and were
turned off by the rust I'd consider it but not even a tyre kicker has
ventured forth for a peek. So, it appears the 33 has only 4 months to
live. It is, apparently, worthless - I thought it may pull the
(embarrassing) $2,000 I eventually came down to but, alas, nothing  ...

Can any of you with a similar history tell me their fate? Has the 33
lost its charm in Australia completely? (I thought the return of Alfa to
Australia may in itself have sparked some interest) Are they good only
for the scrap heap? I'm I poking around in the wrong places? Is there
someone out there with a shed just waiting to hit the rust with a
grinder and give it a new home? (This is for me the most frustrating
thing - had I a shed/garage I could do this myself then at least I could
re-register it and give it to my nephew when he's old enough to drive in
a year or so ... But still, I wonder when noone even appears
interested.)

If you've read this thanks for your patience. Where to from here?

Cheers
Peter

End of alfa-digest V7 #470