re: transaxle snow tires

Carson,

I am not in the snow belt- more like the snow ankles [NJ, USA]. However,
I had a good experience with Pirelli 210P snows on my '87 Milano
Platinum. They were 195/55/15 mounted on stock Verde wheels. I had them
on the rears only, with Pirelli P600's in the same size in front. I
drove the car through some major blizzards and they never let me down.
They were directional types, and were very good in the wet as well.
Unlike some other snows they are also speed rated [130mph??] so on the
occasional sunny day you can try to catch 'nardo.

I am told that most tire shops will no longer sell them in less than a
set of four [I had bought the two from Tire Rack] due to the liability
of the sticky snows sticking and the rest of the car going elsewhere. It
seems that more than one such incident ended in a lawsuit. Perhaps up in
Canada the general population still takes responsibility for their own
actions, however stupid they may be, and the tire shops will let you put
one snow tire on the left front wheel.

Best,
dave s.
'95 164Q [sort of getting by on summer dunlops]
'83 Aston Martin Lagonda [studs wouldn't help]