da numbuz-

In AD7-466 Rich Wagner, with his slide rule unhostered (bet that dates me!)
asks for the numbers:

"John didn't mention what the peak HP was for the 164 S model, but my
simulation shows something around 212 at 6,200 RPM.  So, I would certainly bet
that the 164 can exceed 140 MPH, and would likely hit the rev limiter before
reaching terminal speed.

"Okay John, here's a real challenge for your archives.  Can you scare up the
drag coefficient and frontal or reference area of the 164?  If you can do
that, and then fax me the power curves for the two models, I can figure out
the cars' absolute terminal speeds, if we were to install the proper gearing."

How nice to have somebody ready to deal with substance instead of smoke-

According to the previously cited "Product Bulletin" PA60492039 published by
Alfa Lancia S.p.A. the 164 and 164 L maximum power (SAE net) is 183 at 5600
rpm and the maximum torque is 191 ft.lbs (259 Nm) at 4400 rpm, while the 164 S
maximum power (SAE net) is 200 at 5800 RPM and the maximum torque is 195
ft.lbs (265 Nm) at 4500; the penetration coefficient Cx = 0.305 for the base
and 'L', and 0.300 on the 'S'. Effective drag surface is Cx.s =0,61 sq.m. I
know you didn't ask for torque values but someone else may be interested-

They do not specify which if any of these values are valid for Texas.

Gearbox ratio in fifth is 1:0.916 for the three cars, axle ratio 18/56 (3.111)
for the base and L, 17/58 (3.412) for the S giving overall ratios and vehicle
speed per 1,000 rpm of 1:2.849 and 25.62 mph for the base and L, and 1:3.125,
23.03 mph for the S.

I don't see a number for the rev limiter, but the characteristic curves for
both engines chop off at 6200, where the S is down nearly 10 hp from its
indicated 5800 peak.

Sorry, I don't have data on the Quad.

Rich adds "- and then fax me the power curves for the two models, I can figure
out the cars' absolute terminal speeds, if we were to install the proper
gearing." My fax machine has been in dead storage for years but if he really
wants the curves I can fax them some way or another or (horrors!) snail them,
but would need his fax number and/or address.

After rereading a couple of other posts I wonder if Rich would comment on how
much one gains by raising the rev limiter when the power curve is already
heading south like a rock-

Cordially

John H.
Raleigh N.C.