RE:164 air-con

> From: Peter McCarthy
> Subject: 164 air-con
>
> Dear digesters
>

> On very hot (Australian) summer days - 28-38 degrees centigrade - the
> fan needs to be set on 3 or 4 to feel any difference. People in the back
> have to sweat it out and beg for the back windows to come down. An Alfa
> dealer told me it was probably some gasket between the firewall and
> cabin either broken or loose - notorious he says. What about the
> temperature sensor - is this the small in-dash plug with a hole the size
> of a cigarette in the middle? Of course in winter it runs quite cool. Am
> I just expecting too much from old technology? I find it hard to get
> into my girlfriend's Mitsubishi Verada(!)and find my nuts freezing in
> the middle of high summer (if I want) then being able to swiftly
> 'acclimatise'(if I want) when my Alfa promises 'climate control' and I
> still stick to the seat...

Last summer, I drove to Las Vegas from L.A in my 91'  164L.   The temp
in Baker, CA was 117 degrees F.   I  had the climate control set on 2
and my two passengers were cool enough to ask me to turn it down.   Of
course I was going over 100 mph at the time.

I don't think your problem is an inherent one in the 164.

Scott Mccaulley
91  164
98 VW Jetta GLX