Re: alfa-digest V7 #464

>Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 19:04:50 -0500
>From: "Eric H." <ejham@domain.elided>
>Subject: Passed!!!
>
>Today, I am pleased to announce that my GTV6 successfully
>passed
>
>He ended up fabricating the pipes, adding the O2 fitting,
>putting in a new 3 inch-piped cat, replacing the header
>gaskets for $300 including the cat.

I sure hope that he used slip joint fittings between the cat
and the mid-pipe.

The center muffler hides things such as the shift linkage, driveline
giubos, etc. and you need to be able to easily remove it in order to
maintain those hidden items.  The stock system uses a slip joint
with band clamp fasteners to hold the center muffler to the cat and
bolt-together flanges for the center to rear section.  This arrangement
allows shade-tree mechanics to (somewhat) easily service the underside
of the car.

Unfortunately, most exhaust shops these days have a tendency to weld
everything together, regardless of what the stock system used to be like.

- -Dennis
San Diego, CA
'85 Alfa  Romeo GTV-6, white
'85 Nissan pickup 4x4, white
'70 Volkswagen Beetle, white (currently green)