164 issues

> From: Bernardo De Albergaria
> Subject: 164 Heating, Steering and Lights
>
> I recently purchased a 91 164 S (Thanks for the help provided on some
> previous questions on the same car) and found myself with these issues:
>
> 1) Heating: When driving the car in traffic, the temperature will
> eventually reach over the 215-220 F mark (mid-way between the 175 and 250).
> The overheating light goes on for a while, than goes off after the
> temperature is reduced by driving on a free stretch of road.

My 168 :o) does this and has no ill effects from it. Above the center
mark is place for concern.

> >From a previous 164 I owned, I learned not to trust the warning lights to
> faithfully, yet, what is the maximum operating temperature? Do you have any
> idea why the temperature reached that level? (Oil and coolant levels are
> fine). I am planning of installing a bypass switch to manually actuate the
> cooling fan: is that going to reduce the life of the fan?

I would say this is normal in traffic or heavy driving, mine doesn't go
over the center. Over that is an issue.

> 2) Steering: I have a few leaks from the steering, but otherwise in pretty
> good shape (I keep it topped off). The car does not "pull" in either
> direction, but the steering wheel does not seem to stay centered, every
> time a go over a "bump" during a curve, The steering wheel gets out of
> whack (In either direction). I also feel that there is too much play and
> the steering is not as direct as I remember from my previous 91 164 B. Any
> ideas on what the problem could be?

I have heard of more than one that has loose connections to the subframe
and the rack. Check this. Sounds like your problem.

> 3) Lights: The lights behind the two of the center button rows are gone, as
> well as the Radio backlights (Radio display is fine as well as the actually
> LED that indicates a feature being on, such as defrost. Can I just
> dismantle the center part and replace those lights easily?

This is in the control unit and can  be remeoved and bulbs replaced. But
if the radio lights are out as well, it could be the power going ot the
area. Maybe this requires more diagnosis.
- --
M a s t r o  M o t o r s -
Wholesale Internet Parts for Alfa Romeo & Subaru
http://mastrosubaru.com/parts.htm

End of alfa-digest V7 #462