87 Graduate runs then dies...

I have an '87 Graduate that's giving me fits. Car starts and runs for a
while (time varies) then shuts off like it ran out of extension cord.
Won't restart (verified no spark) but cranks as usual. Get car towed
home and it will not start until the battery is fully charged. Haven't
been able to get a meter on the coil power supply when this happens.
When car won't start the volt meter on dash reads just over twelve then
falls to bottom of gauge while cranking.  Sometimes it will actually
rise while cranking. Any thoughts for a solution, alternatot, volt reg,
grounds? Fourth time this week.......Help!

Jim
(It's all your fault Joel!) ~;->