What I did this weekend

Hello Digesters,

I got my 74 GTV!  And all I had to do was drive 2300 miles.

A while back I asked what it would take to import a 74 GTV from Canada and
the response I got (thanks, Ben Higgins) encouraged me to pursue it.  This
weekend my quest was completed.  I am now the ecstatic owner of my second
74 GTV (why did I ever get rid of the first one?).  Thanks to the NWARC for
advertising it (you can take it off now, it's MINE).  Thanks to Evan, the
owner, who is definitely not a DPO, for taking such good care of my car for
me until I found it. (and for the night's hospitality)

Importation from Canada was painless.  All I needed was a letter from
ARDONA stating that the car (identified by VIN) met the US DOT safety
standards in effect at time of manufacture (thanks, Riccardo).  Since the
car is more than 21 years old, no emissions data is required.

Since the car had no rear bumper, I ordered one to have on hand for the
Customs agent if he asked (thanks, Larry of APE, and you were right, I
didn't need it).  And since the car has Webers, I asked Centerline what
they thought of passing Colorado smog (thanks, Joel and Steve).

The car is a plum (literally and figuratively).  Body is great, engine is
nice, 87K miles(!) I believe it's the original interior (tan).  The trip
had no business being as easy as it was, 1150 miles each way (2 days each
way) from Denver through Wyoming, Montana, and Alberta to Calgary during
the first week in February and there was all of 30 miles of road that was
not absolutely clear and dry.  My tow vehicle ran flawlessly and U-Haul's
trailer was great.

Can you tell I'm happy?  Thanks again to everyone that helped make it
possible.

Steve Ashby
Denver, CO
74 GTV (now I don't have to envy everyone else that signs this way)
75 Spider (now for sale)
96 Dodge Ram 1500 (tow vehicle)
98 Windstar (hey, the wife and kids need something)