Re: 158 mph

In AD7-458 I mentioned that our 164S "does this clunking too,
even at 158 mph - but you can't hear it at that speed."

In AD7-459 John Hertzman responded with, "Just to mention that on the
initiative of Gianni Marin, the Editor of 'Gente Motori', Fiat approved a
go-for-broke record run of a 164 at Bonneville. The car was prepared at
Fiat R & D in Detroit by Don Black, who accompanied the car and Marin to
the salt flats. The car made a best run, windboosted against the rev
limiter at better than 6500 rpm, of 149.412 for a two-way average of
148.509 mph.

"Which goes to prove, if proof be necessary, that Texas wind blows hotter
and faster than Utah wind, if not any wind anytime anywhere."

Ah, so true, John. I did have a wonderful tail wind that day and was on a
road with a slight decline. Also in question, the accuracy of the speedo,
which did read -to our astonishment- 158 mph. The rev counter was
indicating a couple of notches shy of the limiter. Also, I might add, that
speed was not maintained for the length of time required to achieve a
Bonneville record. What is it, 10 miles each way? Around here the roads
aren't straight or flat enough to maintain even 148 mph average for ten
miles. The lit/articles of the day (early `90s) did indicate a 164S top
speed of 155 mph.

Maybe my mechanic is just better?  ;^ o

BTW, my `83 GTV6 has indicated reaching 138 mph (the lit indicates 132
mph). But all the above factors may have had an effect. Just another Texas
tall tale? It's your call...356, 806 miles and still counting...

`nardo
b:d+z
Alpine, Brewster County, Texas USA
     Animated global position (~2:30 load @ 28.8):