gtv6 light switch repair

Last night the headlight switch of my GTV6 decided to give up.  The
shaft that goes into the steering column turns freely inside the body of
the switch and I can even pull it out completely.   Does anybody have
any experience with fixing these things?  How are they supposed to work?
Is the shaft supposed to fit snuggly into the switch and use friction to
turn it on/off or is it using some other system?  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Vangelis
83 Spider