Re: 164 Handling characteristics

Hi Roger,

I have a 1994 164LS as well.  Some list members may remember my previous
postings about my adventures with the 164LS.

Overall, one has to remember it's a BIG car, primarily built as a "sporting
sedan".  However, having said that I can't remember when I have to be less
agressive with the 164LS compared to my 75 or my brother's 155V6.

Changing directions quickly does ask a lot of the suspension but it will
obey as quickly as it can.  The best practice is to apex early (turn in
ealier) while slowly applying power.  The slip angles of the tires on both
the front and the back of the car are much more equal to one another
compared with the 75, for example, so you should "settle in" more quickly.
I've found that the current Bridgestone RE71's are grippier than my
original Pirelli P6000s although they're harder, and make more road noise.
I have 205/60/15's (no, I don't want to sacrifice my ride quality even
though I storm around a lot).

Give yourself some time to get accustomed to the handling traits of the
car.  It's very adept at apexing corners slow and fast.  The early turn in
and power-understeering your way out of a corner seems to work for me
(that's an exaggeration, the car stays pretty neutral most of the time).
Just don't lift in a decreasing radius, downhill corner.  Ask me how I know.

Have fun.  It's a great car, and what a lovely motor.

Nizam
'94 164LS
'88 75S
Ka-li-for-nee-uh, Bay Area