164 Handling Characteristics

Hi.  I'm the guy who just bought a '94 164LS.  Am quite happy with it, and
yes, I just got the timing belt changed, as everyone recommended.  Although
the car is quite stable and fun to drive, I was wondering about some of the
handling traits of this car.

I was driving around yesterday, and approached a highway off-ramp, always a
fun way to get the feel of a car (at least for me).  So, I applied the
brakes to get down to a reasonable speed, released the brakes and turned in
as the curve started.  My expectation was that the car would responsively
change direction, and that after the suspension settled into a cornering
stance, with some body roll, I would apply the gas to power out of the
turn.  Instead, I was treated to a surprising amount of understeer, with a
little bit of tire squeal and a bit more body roll than I expected.  The
car changed direction less briskly than expected and the whole maneuver
required considerably more drama than necessary.  The car flattens out very
nicely after applying power, but the turn-in....?  Please don't get the
impression here that I was driving recklessly or at excessive speed.
Hardly.  Should one enter turns at lower speed than an equivalent RWD car?
Or with throttle applied BEFORE turn-in?

The car is currently wearing 205/65-15 Pirelli P6000 tires.  (Previous
owner's selection).  Odd size choice, too, no?  Isn't the stock size
195/65-15?  If they were going to go to the plus size, I'd imagine the
205/60-15 would be closer to the right size?

I look forward to any comments!

Thanks,
Roger
1969 1750 Roundtail Spider