Re: Removing a Spider Water Pump

Someone wrote:

>In attempting to replace the water pump on my '88 Spider this weekend, I
>discovered that the pump cannot be removed without removing the crankshaft
>pulley

To which ramarren@domain.elided replied:

#That's one of the 'little details' that came up when the 2000 engine came
#out. Earlier models (1300, 1600, 1750) allowed a water pump change
#without removing the crankshaft pulling.

#Can't help you on the details of the job ... I have limited service tools
#and such for automobiles, so when it had to be done on my '78 last year,
#I had the shop do it for me.

Five years or so ago I was going at the crank nut to replace the WP
on my '77 Spider in my parent's driveway.  I'm whacking away on it
with an air hammer, and evertime the compressor kicks in, the lights on
the house dim.  I knew this 'cuz my 'Da, (an old MG man) comes out mad as
the bejeezuzbells 'cuz it's getting in the way of his Redskins watching.

So, he looks it over, takes the 1/2 driver I'm using and puts a breaker bar
on it.  Wedges the bar between the bars on the crash cage on the bottom
of the engine, and he has me crank the engine over.  "Just bump the
starter" he said.

Thing came right off.  Simple and easy.

Can't remember the nut size on it, but it's a big sucker.  Got it from
Sears.  It was a 3/4" drive nut, but I was able to get a 3/4" to 1/2"
adaptor.

Hope this helps?

Scott