RE: Spider Blinker Stalk Replacement

"Morgan, Steve" asks:
> With that clue to my abilities, has anyone replaced the steering column
> blinker assembly on a Spider?  I've been wrestling with simply
replacing the
> stalk with one from a wreck, so far unsuccessfully.  A more gifted
> brother-in-law recently entertained himself with the project for almost
an
> hour.  After spending almost as much time looking for the lost spring
(found
> it!), he concluded that the steering wheel must come off.  We couldn't
fit a
> wrench or socket on it before he went back to Oklahoma.
>
> I would love to learn from the mistakes and experiences of others who
have
> successfully replaced either the entire assembly or the stalk.  I hate
> driving and not blinking, though driving has been quite limited.

Yep, pulling the steering wheel is definitely the easiest way to do this.
 I had
do this when my column switch assembly decided to vaporize itself in a
smoky manner.  Get a cheapo steering wheel puller and add some long
metric bolts/washers... (I don't recall the exact size -- perhaps an M5
or
M6?).  Anyway, once the steering wheel is off you'll be able to swap
out the turn signal switch assy with ease.  Clean off and relube the
steering
shaft where the spring wraps around it, and be sure to route the new
switch's
electrical harness exactly as the old one was routed.  Also, all the
recent talk
about adding relays to the headlight circuits is excellent advice...
you'll come
to appreciate the value of adding relays after you've burnt out TWO of
those
expensive switch assemblies... (the voice of experience speaking!)