Spider Blinker Stalk Replacement

I've got to start doing more of my own maintenance, but often my efforts
seem to lead to more projects.

With that clue to my abilities, has anyone replaced the steering column
blinker assembly on a Spider?  I've been wrestling with simply replacing the
stalk with one from a wreck, so far unsuccessfully.  A more gifted
brother-in-law recently entertained himself with the project for almost an
hour.  After spending almost as much time looking for the lost spring (found
it!), he concluded that the steering wheel must come off.  We couldn't fit a
wrench or socket on it before he went back to Oklahoma.

I would love to learn from the mistakes and experiences of others who have
successfully replaced either the entire assembly or the stalk.  I hate
driving and not blinking, though driving has been quite limited.

Steve Morgan
82 Spider
91 164 S