RE: Tools to carry...

> I think we did this thread a year or so ago. I suppose it merits
re-opening.
> For a long time I carried a tool box full of tools until I discovered,
> they don't do you any good unless you have some parts.  So I started
> carrying an ever expanding box of spares.  I still never had the right
> part, or tool for whatever happened, but I was able to help a couple
> other Alfista at Sebring once. I even had a spare timing belt in
> there, like it would do me any good if mine went???

while riding home in earnest this fall, my water pump let go.  i'm still
facing west and praising the po every morning for leaving a brand new one in
the trunk.  neither aaa nor a cell phone would have been much help in
cheyenne, wyoming, 2,000 miles away from home, on a saturday morning.

i've always carried a spica belt with me on long trips.  personally, i now
think the parts are more important than the tools - you can find tools
anywhere, but locating a hard-to-find part in a pinch could cause headaches
and delays.

fwiw,

bs