Re: Exhaust Diameter/back pressure

My take on this is that it's because "professional" drivers are in the
habit of backing up until they bump into the loading dock. Not good if
your exhaust is hanging out the back. Besides, truck exhausts are
hardly tuned for performance. There may also be another reason for it
on larger gas-burners. They might not want the exhaust pointing back
because of how high up it is. They might not want missiles (a dropped
valve, etc.) to come shooting out the pipe at following traffic.
Diesels have vertical exhausts way up in the air to allow soot to
dissipate. That's hardly a performance mod I'd try. ;=)