Spider tach

     Joe Fillip writes:
     snip>>>
     2. Tach is dead. I understand that the car has an electrical sending
     unit rather than a cable. Anyone have any experience re: repairing or
     replacing such a unit?

     My 82 Spider had a dead tach, and I was unable to revive it. It uses a
     proprietary IC from Texas Instruments, if I recall, but I was unable
     to purchase a replacement. I finally found a Fiat 131, and pulled the
     tach from it, swapped faces with my spider's unit, and installed the
     tach back in its pod. I had to use the old Jaeger tach needle, which
     had a smaller diameter than the Veglia tach I was relacing. Teh whole
     thing worked quite well, and is working to this day.
     In your '88, I believe you have a single large dash panel, rather than
     the individual pods, so there may not be a tach unit to remove. You
     might try APE for a replacement.
     Good luck,
     Len