A Different Gardenia White

In AD7-438  Michelle Muller asked about Gardenia
White for a Giulietta, my list of colours for Alfa's between 1954 and
1960 gives a makers code for Gardenia White as 12903 and correlates
it to AR005. I cross checked this information with information
supplied by Peter Marshall (1900 Register). According to my
various paint catalogues AR005 corresponds to ICI ref no 3616 (2K,
Belco and Permobel finishes) and Deltron PPG colour ALF.005. There
are no equivalents listed under Ault + Wiborg or Valentine paints.
The Deltron PPG code probably cross relates to a Ditzler code as
Deltron is part of Pittsburgh Paint Group.

Furthermore Tom Zat lists a Ditzler code of 8382 for Gardenia White
but this correlates to a factory code of either 20005 or 19447 both of
which are incorrect (so far as I know) for the Giulietta. Does
anybody have any records showing that 12903 became either 20005 or
19447 ?. (The five digit code is the important bit rather than the AR
code as there can be a variety of different tints for an AR code -
see below)

John H. states that the code should be AR107, this does not tie in
with my records but does tie in with Tom, this might explain a
slightly different shade of paint.

For Giulietta Spiders up to 1960 for the European market there is no
listing of Bianco Gardenia only Bianco P. F. (a.k.a. Bianco Farina)
which cross codes to AR008 rather than AR005 or AR007. AR008 comes in
three different tints from ICI, three more from PPG, two from Ault +
Wiborg and one from Valentine paints.

The easiest way to match your paint would be to match it to an area
that probably had not been touched up by a previous owner i.e. behind
the rear seat / storage area or inside a door panel (Of course if a
previous owner had bare metal resprayed the car there could be no
evidence of the original colour).

On 2600's the original paint was by a company called Italver S.p.A.
Italiana Vernici, Via Privata Bolla 27 (Via Gallerate), Milano, Italia
(Tel: 305.706/7/8/9 or 308.3046/47). Italver made the paint to an
original formula by Herbol, Werke, Herbig, Haarhaus A.G., Koln,
Germany. Italver are a subsidiary of Pittsburgh Paints Group General
Office, Pittsburgh Industries Inc., One PPG Place, Pittsburgh, PA
15272, USA. (Tel: (412) 434 3131).

Hope this helps,

Regards

Eric Harrison