More Hot Bulbs & fix, so far

Joel Hailey sez:
>>"I installed high powered bulbs in my first Milano. Maybe I didn't check
the
harness connector to the bulb carefully enough for tightness and freedom
from
corrosion. At any rate, the connectors got fried due to the heat
generated from
the extra amperage the bulbs required. I believe they were 55/100s,
<<

I melted my Milano's sockets right away when I put in higher wattage
bulbs. I eventually solved this by splicing in NAPA Echlin LS6493 light
sockets. The plastic used seems to stand the heat better. I tried other
brands, but these were the only ones that didn't toast up. They show a
little darkening from the heat, but still work OK. I also used two
relays with hot leads run directly off the battery (fused, of course) to
minimize voltage drop.

- --
Jim Roth, White Rock (Los Alamos) NM USA
'94 Land Rover Discovery
'90 MBZ 300TE 4Matic
'88 ALFA Romeo Milano Verde (75/3.0QV)
'85 Maserati BiTurbo