Re: alfa-digest V7 #434

> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:43:58 -0800 (PST)
> From: Michal Wawruszak <alfadigest@domain.elided>
> Subject: AVgas in 2 litre?
>
> Oh well, is it safe to use AVGAS in the almost standard 2 litre
> engine? It's minimum octane rating is 100 while the max is 130. I can
> feel the car running better, but it would also burn hotter and maybe
> cause overheating  in the combustion chamber/pistons. (no overall
> overheating has happened yet) I can get AVGAS for about 95 cents
> (about 30cents more than Super) which I can live with, as long as it
> is not going to kill my engine. I may get the car tuned by someone (if
> i really have to) for AVGAS usage, if the engine is safe.

I assume you have tried different timing settings first? Using AVGAS is
not a fix but an avoidance of the problem. Try switching to a different
petrol brand, and see if that makes a difference., It makes a diff when I
use Shell as my car pings like crazy. But using Mobil it's fine. Avgas
tends to burn longer and hotter, so you can cause damage to your engine if
you are not careful and your engine isnt designed to take avgas. Try an
Octane booster like 104+ (Proven to work by Street Machine magazine
independent tests). Try different spark plugs and double check everything
to ensure its all set correctly. Usually people using avgas will hhave
very highly tuned engines, racing or heavily modified road, and thus need
the avgas, but in a roadcard its unnecessary, and should be easily avoided
by fiddling with a few non-expensive items.

*not at home*
Nathan Wong

AlfaCors@domain.elided