Re: alfa-digest V7 #434

> I was looking at some high power 9004 direct replacement bulbs for my 164
> and was wondering if the factory relays are enough to prevent damage to the
> headlight switch and related wires?
>
> Glenn Emerson
> New York
> 91 164L

A little caveat here...
I installed high powered bulbs in my first Milano. Maybe I didn't check the
harness connector to the bulb carefully enough for tightness and freedom from
corrosion. At any rate, the connectors got fried due to the heat generated from
the extra amperage the bulbs required. I believe they were 55/100s, which differs
from the originals only on the high beams; the originals are 55/60. The Milano has
a relay on the high beam side, so that wasn't the issue. I've resisted running
"hot" bulbs ever since.
Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
Boulder CO