GTV Production numbers redux- and prolix-

After my post on serial numbers in Fusi, related to Carson Damm's type 105.44
(world-spec) 1750 GTV, which ranged from 1350920 to 1386232, Frank on Cape Cod
posted a note in AD7-430 saying:

>>My '69 GTV (USA model) carries the chasis number of AR*1350180.  A bit odd
for a US model to have such an early production number, no?<<

I answered him off digest asking if he would verify that it is 1350180, and
that he didn't either transpose the 3 and the 5 or misread them, and also
would he verify that it is a type 105.51 rather than a type 105.44?.

He responded off-digest:
>>It is indeed AR*1530180, sorry for the error.  That number still does not
fit your list of production number ranges. - - - A black sticker on the inside
of the glove box door identifies it as a 105.51. Why does my car's number
begin with 153 instead of the published 13x?<<

Alfa's serial numbering system can be confusing, but there is some logic to
it. There is a period of more obscure logic (if any) during the transition
from 750 Giuliettas to 101 Giuliettas, and some confusion in the transition
from 105 series cars to 115 series cars, and a few glitches (like the 33
Stradale) which don't fit, but otherwise the first three numbers (105, 115,
116) indicate the basic chassis family (105 the post-101 Giulias and
successors, 115 the last variants of the 105, 116 the transaxle cars). The
next two digits identify a particular subset within that family- a particular
body style and engine size and market group. Taking the 1750s as a reasonably
well known clump,
105.48 = Berlina (Europe, r.o.W.)
105.44 = GT Veloce (Europe, r.o.W.)
105.57 = Spider (Europe, r.o.W.)
105.71 = Berlina (U.S.A.)
105.51 = GT Veloce (U.S.A.)
105.62 = Spider (U.S.A.)

Other cars which are essentially identical to some of these except for engine
size have different series numbers:
105.03 = Duetto, essentially same except for engine as the 1750 Spider
105.30 = GT Junior, essentially same except for engine as the 1750 G.T.V.

Note that a major restyle, like the switch to squaretail Spider, does not rate
a different subset pair, but a substantial mechanical equipment change may
rate a different subset pair, like the 1977 California and later 50 state 2000
Spiders becoming 115.41 instead of the earlier 115.02 Spiders.

The next remaining numbers are the source of the greatest confusion; they in
are a block of numbers assigned to a particular type. For the examples I just
gave the starting numbers of the assigned blocks are:-

105.48.1300109 = Berlina (Europe, r.o.W.)
105.44 1350001 = GT Veloce (Europe, r.o.W.)
105.57.1410001 = Spider (Europe, r.o.W.)
105.71 1555001 = Berlina (U.S.A.)
105.51 1530003 = GT Veloce (U.S.A.)
105.62 1480001= Spider (U.S.A.)
105.03 660.001= Duetto
105.30 1200101= GT Junior

Note that the Duetto had six digits in this block while the others had seven.
The earliest cars using this system have blocks of five digits (e.g. some
Giuliettas, the ironblock 2000s) which were increased to six in late 1961 and
to seven in late 1966. The seven-digit series lasted until the ZAR system came
on-line in 1981.

An important thing to understand is that there is no implicit chronological
sequence among the types.  A 148xxxx Spider may be either earlier or later
than a 153xxxx coupe.

A reasonable question to ask is what happens when a car type is sold in large
enough quantities that its assigned block crowds the next higher numbered
block? Simple; a new, previously unassigned  block is assigned, which can
cause some confusion. The earliest US-spec 2000 .Spiders (type 115.02) started
at 3040001 in November 1971. The last 105.02 US-spec 2000 .Spiders, the
49-state version from May 1977, stared a new block 0001001. Going by straight
serial numbers it would be easy to think that a mid-1977 Spider was earlier
than a mid-1972 Spider.

This may not clear everything up, but I hope it makes it clear why some things
seem unclear -

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.