Re: Twinspark valve timing variator

In message , John Thacker <jrthack@domain.elided> writes
>There are several known problems with the Twinspark valve timing variator
>they must be positioned correctly otherwise they always touch the activation
>plunger, they may appear to work correctly but they can stick in use(a good
>clean is usually all that is needed)
>if you monitor the application of the 12V it should be applied by the ECU
>before 3000rpm
>hope thats some help

The volts come on when I blip the throttle, I took the thingy off and
reconnected the wires to check if the solenoid works. It does. Sticks
the pin out strongly.
Poking a screwdriver in to operate the valve plunger doesn't do
anything.
I checked the gap and it was fine.
Put 12V to the solenoid and went for a spin, no change.
I suspect the mechanism but am reluctant to take it to bits without the
required new bits. The dealer fiche shows two internal seals but they
were out of stock.
New variator is 300GBP + taxes, also out of stock.
Which bit am I supposed to give a good clean to BTW?
- --
jonathan coates