Re: Air Condtioning 1300GTj

Albert

Sorry for the late reply but I just got back from magical Bali.  Here in
Singapore, air conditioning is de rigeur.

My 71 Junior is equiped with a Sanden 502 or something compressor mounted on
the exhaust side over the alternator.   The  mount was fabricated long time
ago in its past life.

The mounting bolts right onto the side of the engine with a strut down to
the one of the alternator mountings.  The mount is made of half inch thick
steel plate and is very sturdy.  The mount also extends to the front of the
engine where it bolts onto the front, just below the cam cover.  You can see
two big bolts there.  Incorporated into the mount is a tensioning pulley
right in the middle of front of the cam cover.

Of course the crankshaft pulley is modified with an extra flange.  Thus
completing the belt drive.  The pulley fan has been substituted with two
electric fans downwind of the radiator.  A relay switches on the fans
whenever the compressor clutch is engaged.

Up front in between the grill and radiator is the condensor.  In the cabin,
the blower was an easy fit as any generic blowers will bolt under the dash
without the centre console of the GTVs.  I did move the gauges up into the
new wood panel.  You can set the blower as far back under the dash to make
it inconspicuous,

Some things to note.  The compressor drag of the Sanden is significant.  I
am looking for a lighter substitute.  I was told that this compressor was
used for trucks!  I have an rpm drop of between 150 to 200 at idle.

I also wired a relay to cut off the compressor and blower when cranking the
engine as it will not fire with the compressor clutch engaged.  The relay
takes it signal from the oil pressure light.  So the air con comes on when
the oil pressure light cuts out.

The cooling power of this set up is tremendous.  I can get the blower
directional fins to frost over on maximum cooling.  Make sure your
alternator is upgraded or you will see dead batteries with the original
alternator.

My description may be a little vague but just wanted to let you know it can
be done quite well.  I can elaborate on the details if you like.  The most
difficult part AFAIK is the mount for the compressor.

Andrew C
71 1300 GTj
Singapore