"two-tone" paint.

I have a suspicion all clear-coated metallics with that side strip were
like that.  I couldn't figure why the car was obviously two colors, but
the sticker had but one code -- or why no second layer of paint was
beneath either.  I surmise that the only clear-coat available tended to
chip.  I find that the SEM "Chip Guard" (clear) top-coats the bottom
nicely [it <can> be applied in a smooth gloss](of course, you have an even
more illogical "two-tone" until all the bottom is re-done).

r.m.bies