Re: I'm a happy cow in the quadrifoglio patch(Alfetta questions),long

[deleted]
>7.I cannot get 2nd gear in this car.1st,3rd,4th and 5th are fine.Haven't tried
>double clutching it, but my usual Milano"first gear,neutral,slow into
>second"technique only results in grinding.All of the other gears "feel"
>good,but the shifts don't seem as precise as my Milano.The shifter feels
>really loose and "sloppy".  Reverse engages,but it feels (Compared to my
>Milano)like you need to reach a few FEET over and down to get it.I've never
>fiddled with shift linkages,could it be a messed up shift linkage that's
>causing my inability to get second gear engagement?The clutch feels like new,
>too.

This was wrong on my bargain basement Alfetta GTV ('78 model) too.
Turned out to be broken transmission mounts which had forced the
shifter into a slightly odd position.  This had resulted in the
shifter fork being ground down until 2nd gear and reverse gear
both disappeared altogether once the transmission mounts had been
replaced.  I know nothing about gearboxes, so I cheque-booked it
and had the mechanic replace 2nd gear synchro while he was in
there.  Seems to be great now, but it was a kilo-buck (australian
dollars) repair.  Worthwhile still.

dave.