Bikini Gaskets

Jess asks:

> Anyone with higher milege 2-piece headgasket? :)

Well, I can't beat the mileage, but I can beat the age.  My '82 GTV6 began
leaking coolant down the outside of the left bank last year.  When I
removed the head, I too was greeted by the old-style bikini gasket.  After
removing it, I was amazed it could hold anything back at all.  It looked
terrible, was oil saturated (although it wasn't leaking any oil outside or
inside the engine), and had actually split in two, as if delaminating.
That was the source of the coolant leak.  The car had 24,000 miles on it at
the time.

Rich
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco