internet fees

I wrote my Congressman - here is his reply:

Subj:	 RE: fee for internet use
Date:	99-01-25 14:47:51 EST
From:	Nick.Lampson@domain.elided (Lampson, Nick)
To:	BHIGGINS2@domain.elided

Dear Friend:

Thank you for contacting me regarding Internet access charges.  I have
received several calls and letters about this e-mail rumor from
constituents.  You will be pleased to know that this rumor is false.

The manner in which consumers pay for Internet access is not currently
before the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).  The FCC has repeatedly
stated that it is not preparing to change the manner in which consumers
obtain and pay for Internet access.

In December 1996, the FCC reviewed issues relating to the charges that
Internet Service Providers (ISPs) pay to local phone companies.  On May 7,
1997, the FCC decided to leave the existing rate structure in place and
prohibit local phone companies from imposing per-minute access charges on
ISPs.

I hope this information has been helpful.  Please feel free to contact me
regarding this, or any other issue of interest to you.

Sincerely,
NICK LAMPSON
Member of Congress